Texting and private messaging are the main forms of communication for most people, especially kids and teens. They use instant messaging to communicate with like-minded people, friends, and family. One of the most popular messaging apps used today is LINE.
What Is The Line Messaging App?
LINE is a free app used primarily for messaging, voice chat, and video calling. The app also enables users to meet new people through OPENCHAT. This app is available for download on mobile phones (Android and iPhone), PC, and Mac. It was first released to the public in June 2011.
What Are The Main Features of The LINE App?
- Free Messaging: Instantly message friends and family from your phone or computer. Group chats are available. Line users can send photos, videos, locations, contacts, voice messages.
- Voice and Video Calling: Call or video chat with anyone, even internationally.
- Stickers and Emojis: Access to a variety of cute stickers and emoticons that can be used during chats.
- Live Posts: Similar to other social networks, users can share live updates of what’s going on with friends and family. These posts will appear on the user’s timeline. Users also gain access to custom avatars and effects used to create live posts.
- LINE TODAY: View the latest news trending in entertainment, sports, and more.
- OPENCHAT: Find and make new friends with similar interests.
Is LINE Messenger Safe & Secure?
Unfortunately, no app is entirely safe and secure, including LINE. They do take the necessary safety and security measures to protect their users. Primarily, LINE uses Letter Sealing encryption to protect messages, voice chat, and video call data and information that is transmitted from a user to the app servers.
Other than encryption, LINE provides several ways for users to secure their accounts and stay safe including:
- Creating a password for your account that you haven’t used before.
- Filter out messages that are not sent by friends.
- Control if other apps can access your LINE profile.
Even with these safety and security features, it still doesn’t prevent users from an obvious threat: being contacted by strangers. On the app, users are still able to be contacted by strangers including hackers, scammers, predators, and catfishers. There’s not much you can do to prevent this except to use your best judgement when talking with strangers. That being said, if someone is harassing or threatening you, you will be able to report and block them.
5 Tips To Staying Safe On LINE
Don’t Use Your Full Name
To protect your identity on the app, make sure your full name is not displayed on your LINE profile. Stick to using only your first name or a nickname.
Use A Non-Identifying Profile Photo
Use a generic photo of something random that isn’t a photo of you. This will prevent anyone from stealing your photo and possibly pretend to be you, or finding you on other social platforms. It’s really easy to find someone online nowadays by doing a reverse image search.
Be Careful Who You Friend & Message
As a general rule of thumb, only contact friends and family on the LINE app. Avoid accepting messages and friends requests who contact you unsolicited. If you are considering accepting someone’s LINE friend request, take caution and look into them before doing so.
Use OPENCHAT With Caution
As we said previously, OPENCHAT allows users to connect with others who have similar interests. However, not everyone using LINE is who they claim to be. So, even if another user seems genuine and friendly, take a moment before becoming their friend on the app. Often, these users turn out to be hackers, catfishers, and scammers who use manipulative methods to target their victims.
Don’t Give Out Your Personal Information
Whatever you do, limit the personal information you include on your LINE profile or share with people on LINE. Sharing your personal information with anyone could lead to being the victim of identity theft. Your personal information could also be leaked in the event your LINE account or the app itself is hacked.
LINE is a great app for those looking to communicate with friends and family, as long as you take the necessary safety precautions. The same goes for any other messaging apps you use. If you are a parent looking to oversee your child’s LINE use, consider using the Auto Forward Phone Monitoring App.